By Chesla, Elizabeth L
Read Online or Download 501 Vocabulary Questions (Skill Builder in Focus) PDF
Similar dictionaries books
The Wiley Dictionary of Civil Engineering and building presents complete assurance of a wide variety of technical disciplines. The definitions are designed to be of use to execs in structure, engineering, surveying, construction, development, forestry, mining, and public works. Entries contain phrases, options, names, abbreviations, instruments, and strategies universal to those disciplines, and nearly all phrases and their services have been provided through operating pros and specialists in each one box.
The LTP Dictionary of chosen Collocations is a different reference ebook aimed toward all novices of English at intermediate point and above. it's not a conventional dictionary. It lists collocations- phrases and the phrases which often mix with them. understanding powerful and common collocations is key for actual, ordinary English.
- NTC's American idioms dictionary: the most practical reference for the everyday expressions of contemporary American English
- Collins Dictionary of Law
- Pygmalion (Webster's German Thesaurus Edition)
- Encyclopedia of Environment and Society (5 Volume Set)
- Dictionary of computer terms
Extra info for 501 Vocabulary Questions (Skill Builder in Focus)
Irresolute means feeling or showing uncertainty; hesitant, indecisive, or ambivalent. 33. Sordid means dirty, wretched, squalid; it can also mean morally degraded. 34. Transient means lasting only a very short time; ﬂeeting, transitory, brief; ephemeral. 37. To palliate means to make something less intense or severe, to mitigate or alleviate; to put a positive spin on. It can also mean to provide relief from pain or from symptoms of a disease. 39. Noisome means offensive, foul, especially in odor; harmful or noxious.
The international ________ will hear more testimony today regarding the general’s wartime atrocities. 112. The evidence was sufﬁcient to ________ her from the crime. 113. The new district attorney refused to condone the mayor’s ________ behavior. 114. Catholics believe that going to confession gives them ________ from their sins. 115. The Athenian lawmaker Draco was known to ________ citizens for the most minor offenses. 116. The ________ students were given two-week suspensions and required to complete 20 hours of community service.
49. a. Capricious means impulsive and unpredictable; a judge should be consistent in interpreting and applying the law. 50. c. An overweening supervisor would be presumptuously arrogant and overbearing. 51. b. Blithe means light-hearted and carefree. Only a young child in a playground is likely to be blithe. 52. a. Someone who throws a tantrum because his or her soup was not warm enough is likely to be petulant; unreasonably or easily irritated. 53. b. A ten year old who has never been given responsibility is likely to be puerile; childish and immature.
501 Vocabulary Questions (Skill Builder in Focus) by Chesla, Elizabeth L