By Gerald Weissmann
“[Weissmann] has emerged within the final 3 a long time as America's best and significant essayist. He has completed this prestige either epigenetically and during Twitter, observe of mouth, with the intention to communicate. . . . very like Susan Sontag, Weissmann likes being a modern, and doesn't consider shackled by way of culture. . . . This ebook is a pleasure for the center and instructive for the mind." —ERIC KANDEL, Nobel Laureate and writer of looking for Memory
“Only a brain as nimble and good traveled as Gerald Weissmann's may possibly see, by no means brain make and expound on, the connections among salamanders and Prohibition . . . white blood cells, Hollywood and erectile disorder . . . future health care reform and Marie Antoinette . . . micro organism, the equivalent Rights modification and the “Miracle at the Hudson." larger but, Weissmann does so with wit and perception. a desirable travel via heritage, technology and pa culture." —MAX GOMEZ, MD, Emmy Award-winning WCBS-TV clinical Correspondent
“Erudite strength leaps from this full of life commingling of paintings, tradition and technology. . . . In every one [essay], Weissmann unearths hyperlinks among study and parts of heritage and dad tradition, which play off one another to illuminating influence. So US baby-kisser Sarah Palin pops up in a dialogue of 'Marie Antoinette syndrome'. . . and the 'meltdown' of the legendary Icarus meets the nuclear model on the Fukushima Daiichi strength plant in Japan." —Nature
Epigenetics, which makes an attempt to give an explanation for how our genes reply to our surroundings, is the most recent twist at the ancient nature vs. nurture debate. In addressing this and different controversies in modern technology, Gerald Weissmann faucets what he calls “the social community of Western Civilization," together with the numerous ignored girls of technological know-how: from the martyred Hypatia of Alexandria, the 1st lady scientist, to the Nobel laureates Marie Curie, Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard, and Elizabeth Blackburn, between different luminaries within the box. constantly instructive and sometimes hilarious, this can be a one-volume advent to trendy biology, considered during the lens of today's mass media and the longer old culture of the clinical Revolution. no matter if conducting the healthcare debate or imagining the longer term prose styling of the clinical examine paper within the age of Twitter, Weissmann proves to be certainly one of our such a lot incisive cultural critics and satirists.
Read Online or Download Epigenetics in the Age of Twitter: Pop Culture and Modern Science PDF
Best science books
A variety of the clinical American publication Club
Profiling 50 of the world’s most well-liked playthings—including their background, trivialities, and the know-how involved—this advisor uncovers the hidden technological know-how of toys. realize how an Etch A cartoon writes on its grey monitor, why a boomerang returns after it truly is thrown, and the way an RC vehicle responds to a handheld remote control machine. Leaving no element unrevealed, the advisor comprises unique patent-application blueprints and photographs of the “guts” of a number of units. Inventors and museum curators additionally provide their observations of favourite gizmos whereas dispelling (or confirming) numerous toy legends. entire with motives of selfmade experiments and tips about opposite engineering outdated toys to watch their inside mechanics, this pleasing and informative reference even presents tips about how budding toy makers can construct their very own toys utilizing purely recycled fabrics and a bit ingenuity.
The Butzows' groundbreaking, significantly acclaimed, and best-selling source has been completely revised and up-to-date for latest school room with new titles and new actions. greater than 30 interesting educational devices combine all parts of the curriculum and function types to educators in any respect degrees.
Written for the start computing scholar, this article engages readers by way of pertaining to middle laptop technological know-how subject matters to their program. The booklet is written in a snug, casual demeanour, and light-weight humor is used through the textual content to take care of curiosity and increase studying. All chapters include a mess of workouts, quizzes, and different possibilities for ability program.
This 3rd publication within the Trilogy of conventional meals, a part of the ISEKI nutrients sequence, covers the positive aspects of useful meals from the world over. the quantity is split into 4 sections that handle assorted key issues within the sector of analysis. half I offers a basic review of the cloth, with chapters on practical facets of antioxidants and probiotics in conventional nutrients.
- Adsorption: Science and Technology
- Lectures on Formal Methods and PerformanceAnalysis: First EEF/Euro Summer School on Trends in Computer Science Bergen Dal, The Netherlands, July 3–7, 2000 Revised Lectures
- Conjugated polymer and molecular interfaces: science and technology for photonic and optoelectronic applications
- The Legacy of Albert Einstein: A Collection of Essays in Celebration of the Year of Physics
- Haphazard Reality: Half a Century of Science (Amsterdam Academic Archive)
Extra info for Epigenetics in the Age of Twitter: Pop Culture and Modern Science
4. , 2001). They could be due to atoms and ions, but molecules cannot be excluded. 5. X-ray emission The nature of the X-ray emission observed in comet Hale–Bopp and several other comets was a mystery at the time of the First International Conference on Comet Hale–Bopp. , 2001), as was suggested ﬁrst by Cravens (1997). 58 ´ DOMINIQUE BOCKELEE-MORVAN AND JACQUES CROVISIER TABLE III Evidence for extended sources in comet C/1995 O1 (Hale–Bopp) Method Spatial distribution : long-slit spectroscopy interferometry Heliocentric evolution Line shapes at large rh Others CO H2 CO HNC yes ?
As a rule, the CO production rate decreased slightly as the model comet approached the sun from aphelion. , from ∼ 18 AU to ∼ 14 AU). The models produced the required CO emission rates (Womack and Stern, 1994) resulting from release of trapped gas, MODELING THE NUCLEUS INTERIOR 45 and reproduced the estimated surface (color) temperatures at different points of the orbit by Campins et al. (1994). The distant activity of comet Hale–Bopp: Comet Hale–Bopp (C/1995 O1), was characterized by an unusually bright coma at a distance of about 7 AU from the sun.
41. : 1994, AJ 108, 2318. Capria, M. , De Sanctis, M. : 2000, Astron. Astrophys. 357, 359. Cochran, A. , Barker, E. , Storrs, R. T. , and Storrs, A. : 1992, Icarus 98, 151. , Capria, M. , De Sanctis, M. : 1997, Icarus 129, 317. : 1999, Icarus 142, 525. Davidsson, B. 2001, Icarus 149, 375. De Sanctis, M. , Capria, M. : 2001, Astron. J. 121, 2792. : 1997, Astron. Astrophys. 319, 995. , and Weissman, P. : 1999, Icarus 138, 74. , Capria, M. : 1993, Planet. Space Sci. 41, 409. : 1991, Icarus 92, 350.
Epigenetics in the Age of Twitter: Pop Culture and Modern Science by Gerald Weissmann