By Ernest L. Fortin, Brian Benestad
Author note: Brian Benestad (Editor)
Volume 3 of Ernest Fortin: accumulated Essays discusses the present kingdom of Christianity—especially twentieth-century Catholic Christianity—and the issues with which it has needed to strive against in the course of swift clinical growth, profound social switch, and starting to be ethical anarchy.
In this quantity, Fortin discusses such subject matters as Christianity and the liberal democratic ethos; Christianity, technological know-how, and the humanities; Ancients and Moderns; papal social suggestion; advantage and liberalism; pagan and Christian advantage; and the yankee Catholic church and politics.
Read Online or Download Human Rights, Virtue and the Common Good: Untimely Meditations on Religion and Politics (Collected Essays, Volume 3) PDF
Best religion books
The modern vintage the recent York instances ebook assessment known as “a thought-provoking [and] perceptive guide,” Who Wrote the Bible? by way of Richard E. Friedman is an engaging, highbrow, but hugely readable research and research into the authorship of the previous testomony. the writer of statement at the Torah, Friedman delves deeply into the heritage of the Bible in a scholarly paintings that's as interesting and wonderful as an exceptional detective novel.
Initially released in 1933, Conversion is a seminal examine of the psychology and conditions of conversion from approximately 500 B. C. E. to approximately four hundred A. D. A. D. Nock not just discusses early Christianity and its converts, but additionally examines non-Christian religions and philosophy, the capability in which they attracted adherents, and the criteria influencing and restricting their luck.
- Untamable Texts: Literary Studies and Narrative Theory in the Books of Samuel
- Zu Karl Barths Lehre von der Taufe. Mit Beiträgen von Joachim Beckmann, Erich Dinkler, Eberhard Jüngel, Walter Kreck, Eduard Lohse sowie Thesen von Joachim Beckmann und Eberhard Jüngel und einem Votum des Taufausschusses der Evangelischen Kirche der Uni
- A Study of the Gospels in Codex Alexandrinus: Codicology, Palaeography, and Scribal Hands (New Testament Tools, Studies and Documents, Volume 48)
- Attische Heilgötter und Heilheroen
- Early Christian Manuscripts: Examples of Applied Method and Approach
Additional resources for Human Rights, Virtue and the Common Good: Untimely Meditations on Religion and Politics (Collected Essays, Volume 3)
On that score, it matters little that in a few Western countries the Church should still enjoy state support, since the supporting state does not appear to be any less secular in its outlook. Some of our theologians are obviously of the opinion that secularization is a phenomenon over which one should rejoice rather than grieve since, 10 and behold, this is what Christianity was all about in the first place. Even if this were the case, however, and there are good reasons to think that it is not, we should still be faced with a problem, for the moral 16 Human Rights, Virtue, and the Common Good ideal in question does not appear to be anchored in any religious or metaphysical view of life capable of imparting real vitality to it.
18. Robert Nisbet, The New York Times Book Review, 28 April 1985, 17. 19. Henri de Saint-Simon, Nouveau christianisme: dialogue entre un conservateur et un novateur [The New Christianity] (Paris: Bossange pere, 1825). 20. Robert Nisbet, The New York Times Book Review, 28 April 1985, 17. 21. 1. Turner, Without God, Without Creed: The Origins of Un belief in America (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1985), qUQted in Nisbet, The New York Times Book Review, 28 April 1985, 17. 22. Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, "Skirmishes ofan Untimely Man," no.
1. Hollingdale (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1993). 23. A. Bloom, "Commerce and 'Culture'" This World 3 (Fall, 1982): 5-20. " In a gesture of good will, Singapore officials agreed to reduce the number of strokes, but nevertheless insisted on going ahead with them. Their argument, which they based on Confucius, was that social order takes precedence over human rights. The incident was widely interpreted by the American press as a "clash of cultures" between East and West, the former emphasizing societal stability and the latter individual freedom.
Human Rights, Virtue and the Common Good: Untimely Meditations on Religion and Politics (Collected Essays, Volume 3) by Ernest L. Fortin, Brian Benestad